Unfortunately at this time (03 January 2018) – with the exception of the My Cat Grass range of products and other brands included in this article – we cannot recommend purchasing any cat grass products from the eBay platform. We make this extraordinary recommendation as eBay does not have a consistent and standardised method for registering brands or legitimate registered feed businesses. eBay also, does not have a fit for purpose method of reporting illegal sellers and their listings to ensure they are removed from their platform. eBay does not conform to the EU and UK legislation on feed. As a “Marketer” ebay is bound by EU and UK feed laws to ensure that all products on it’s platform meet the legislative standards – they do not.
What this means to you. The EU and UK legislation’s primary objective is to ensure the health and safety of the food chain. e.g. that the food we feed to our pets meets extremely high standards in that the product;
- is what it says it is – is specific in its description of the product
- does what it says it does – makes no false claims and makes the statutory declaration on its packaging
- is packaged correctly – tamper proof, labelled correctly and shipped safely – not in envelopes and grip lock bags
- Meets the requirements of the Hygiene laws – records of source, date or purchase, origin, processing and handling & storage
- Does not have any additives or undergo any processes considered unsafe by the statute – this excludes most seed companies as the emulsify their seeds for a longer period between germination and to prevent mould, bleaching seed is a common practice of American farmers to prevent mould.
- That only registered, licensed and audited companies may produce and process branded feed and that retailers are only permitted to sell these branded feeds
eBay as a marketer is responsible for all listings on its site under this legislation however the platform has failed consistently to remove any listings for failing to comply with this legislation. As such My Cat Grass can only recommend that you source your cat grass products from reputable licensed and audited pet feed businesses such as My Cat Grass.
Whilst Amazon has a much stronger control on it’s sellers listings, the platform also lags behind in compliance with EU and UK feed law. Whilst the platform seemingly has more legitimate sellers these are the same sellers that are present on the eBay platform – only they invest a little more time to conform to Amazon’s listing requirements. Products are still being listed by unregistered feed businesses, failing to comply with feed legislation.
When My Cat Grass approached Amazon and eBay in September, October, November and finally in December of 2018 we had hoped the platforms would engage in a meaningful conversation about how they could improve their platforms to comply with the 2003, 2005, 2008 and 2015 pieces of legislation. To date neither companies representatives have responded, removed non compliant listings or updated their policies or processes. The eBay platform lists over £1 Million in fraudulent products under this one category alone annually*.
We highly recommend you purchase your products from a reputable feed business website such as MyCatGrass.co.uk or from your local pet store checking the criteria we have detailed above is met.
We hope this helps answer where to buy cat grass. Chose a product that is legal, uses natural methods and is good for the environment. Do not chose a product because it is cheap, but because it provides the safest, healthiest complimentary cat treat for your cat or pet.
*Research conducted by My Cat Grass in November 2018 and December 2018 based on 80% of listing being non compliant (allowing for a 10% margin of error in our research data).